Monday, June 18, 2012

Straight from the Horse's Mouth

So what I hadn't realized in attempting to plan a Surprise Party is how many years could be taken off my life in spinning lies to keep it a surprise! Poor Paul (my fantastic colorist at the salon), he's going to have to cover up about 8 new white hairs!! 

I've been planning a Surprise Birthday/Retirement Party for my father for about 2-3 months now and if you knew my father you'd know he is very thorough & perceptive -NOT THE EASIEST PERSON TO THROW A SURPRISE PARTY FOR. So we convinced him the party was for my little cousin's birthday.  

One of my father's great loves is horse racing. So it seemed ideal to make the party Kentucky Derby themed.  

The invitation I designed for the party is by far one of my favs! I love making interactive cards and with this particular card I made it so when you pulled the tab to reveal the invitation it made the horses race to the other side!

To purchase this invitation, check out the design at


THE BIG REVEAL...


he was totally shocked! 

Gorgeous girls in hats! Really getting into the theme! I Loved it!

This picture doesn't justify how beautiful this tent from L.I. Tent Rentals was!


L.I. Tent Rentals gets an A++ for FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE & great Summer Deals! 
Their men came two days early to set up the tent & were so nice. Then they came back the day after the party and promptly took it down. The tent came with nice white standard chairs - THEY WERE SO NICE NOT LIKE THE UGLY TAN KIND YOU SEE IN A SCHOOL CAFETERIA- THANK GOD! It also came with lights so we would able to hang out early into the morning. I had such a great experience with them & will definitely use them in the future!

My Aunt found Derby Flags at Cedarhurst Paper & they really added that extra something to the party!


The Boys played poker into the wee morning hours with their lovely dealer & poker pro Miss Brandy!

The Birthday Cake I made for my dad. 
There was a sign that said "Happy Birthday & Retirement" but I forgot to take a picture of it LOL
It was a dee-lish White Velvet Cake with Bananas & Homemade Toffee Filling! 
The crowd seemed pleased :)




Our handy "lucky" little favors! 
I decided at the very last minute (Exactly 6 hours before the party) that it just wasn't a party without favors! LOL

I found these PERFECT Playing Cards Tumbler at -GET THIS... the local 99 Cent Store!!
Can you believe it?!?
This is an example of those miraculous little finds that I love!

...And because Life is Sweet we figured we'd make it sweeter with a bit of candy :)


All in all the party was a hit!
We enjoyed ourselves eating, drinking, and gambling!
Last call was 2 a.m. - My cousin was the first one to go...
.....Umm Yeaaa he might kill me for this one LOL

It was a great time with family, friends, and of course my Loving Daddy Dukes<3
Happy Birthday Daddy! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment